Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Trade show news- Messeneuheiten



What a weekend!
After a knitnite on friday and a birthday party just before the crack of dawn I got early on the train to Cologne to attend the most important annual trade show for crafts in Germany.
You could watch the booths and how the creative people, traders and visitors were embellished by their own creations or not:)
I did not wear a quilted garment but my granny square scarf which was the most colourful garment on me because I was all in elegant grey. :)Business!
After a short visit to the Oakshott booth where they beautifully displayed the new more colourful range of new solids and a chat with lovely Deliah I went straight to the booth of Kokka where I enjoyed the fresh designs of Heather Ross's Rabbits and Racecars collection and the great Nani Iro fabrics.
I was very lucky to meet my neighbour shop owner Birgit there.
Now you know where to get the other rabbit fabrics:)
At Clover's they had a very friendly Japanese girl, hi Yasuko! to help them with the customers. We had so much fun and laughed a lot. I came home with mini pompoms made with raffia and the colourful effect yarn which Clover sells in Japan for my daughters.
And I hope that not only the mini pomponmaker are available soon but the gorgeous Aquamode knitting needles as well. I am still working on this topic!




Was für ein Wochenende!
Am Freitagabend noch ein Stricktreffen mit Wolle wickeln und Sockenstricken und Show and tell, fertiger oder fast fertiger Projekte, dann noch auf einen Geburtstag bis zum frühen Morgen.
Früh aus den Federn und auf mit dem Zug über Hagen nach Köln auf die H&H.
Wie war es wieder aufregend: dieser Messerummel, diese vielen kreativen Leute, Anbieter und Kunden, gleichermaßen mit ihren Kreationen geschmückt(oder auch nicht ;).
Nein, ich trug nichts Gequiltetes, sondern meinen Granny square Schal mit passender Nadel. Sonst war ich ganz in grau.:)businesslike!

Zuerst habe ich eine informative Runde gedreht und ein Pläuschchen mit Deliah am Oakshott-Stand gehalten, um mich dann am Stand der Japanischen Firma Kokka an Nani Iro und Heather Ross-Stoffen zu erfreuen.
Witzigerweise war die Ladeninhaberin aus der Nachbarstadt, Birgit von Vollstoff, auch gerade am Aussuchen, so ergänzen sich unsere Bestellungen sehr gut und ihr wisst nun, wo ihr den Rest der "Rabbits und Racecars" kaufen könnt.

Die bestellten Stoffe, Garne, Anleitungen und Nadeln trudeln in den nächsten vier Wochen ein.

Sehr angenehm war es dieses Mal am Clover-Stand mit einer ausgeruhten, super gut gelaunten Japanerin aus der Overseas Division, mit der es viel zu sehen und zu lachen gab und Anne-Kathrine aus Hamburg, die immer gute Laune hat.
Bald kommen super süße kleine Pompom-maker! und vielleicht auch die wunderschönen Aquamode- Nadeln aus Kunststoff, auf die ich schon seit Monaten scharf bin. Ich arbeite weiter daran.



Natürlich war es nicht nur Spaß, sondern auch mit Arbeit verbunden.
Ein Vorstellungsgespräch war locker terminiert, darum gruppierten sich die anderen Besuche. Mal sehen was sich ergibt........................

Durch Zufall habe ich am Samstag und Sonntag auch ein paar Designer und Hersteller persönlich kennenlernen können.

Ihr glaubt gar nicht wie normal und nett diese bekannten Leute sind.
Jane Ellison und Louisa Harding habe ich wie auch das tolle Mutter und Tochter Team von Araucania am Stand von Designer Yarns getroffen.
Der Gedanke an Fair oder Ethic Trade liegt nahe,deshalb gibt es bald eine neue Kategorie, wo ihr fair hergestellte und gehandelte Produkte aus aller Welt finden werdet.
Das wunderschöne Garnhäufchen siehe unten, liegt schon aufgewickelt in dekorative Knäuel im Garnregal und ist von Posh und das Ergebniss von mindestens 4 Versuchen, Garn am einem Sonntagabend ab 19 Uhr zu ergattern.



You can easily imagine that it was not only fun but work too, because I had a meeting with a BIG company where I applied for a job. We'll see, time will tell..... keep fingers crossed!

I was really lucky to meet the designers Jane Ellison and Louisa Harding on sunday at Designer Yarns and the Chilean mother and daughter team of Araucania which are so lovely and nice people. great yarnies!

Inspired by their great work and another wonderful British yarn company too my shop will have a new category in which fair or ethic traded yarns will find their place.

All things considered it was a great weekend even if I had aching limbs and blisters. I had two yummy dinners with my little brother who was my host during my days in Cologne.
I am so jealous of his small appartment just ten minutes away from the trade center and within 20 minutes walking distance of the mighty dome.
Cologne is well worth a trip on which Joyce Robertson from Westminster Fibers would surely agree.( met her and John Laurie too)

The colourful skeins in the photo above are from at least four visits at Posh yarns UK on sunday evenings at 7 p.m.
Did I mention that it is very difficult to get even one skein of these luxurious cashmere and merino or silk blends? All sold within 15 minutes!
That's what I dream of!
But with over 1500 items in my shop for sale it is an illusion!

No comments: